If you are planted in the eastern Corn Belt and now, due to weather, find you are considering doing it over, you are not alone.
It has been a stressful planting season in many regions. There are growers still waiting to plant the first round. During high stress times it is important to keep our wits about us and consult the numbers and the experts. Return on investment needs to be our objective for each decision. We need to compare where we are now to where we could be.
We are having this conversation daily with many of our growers. Here’s a recent example: The grower has an agronomist looking at a few hundred acres of corn, seeking advice on replant. We need to understand the possibilities from the agronomic and financial standpoints. We look at what we currently have. The corn was planted between April 12th and April 15th with an emerged population of 24,000 plants.
Questions to ask that keep return on investment in mind are; 1) What potential does this corn have to bounce back? 2) What traits were carried in that seed that will or will not let it bounce back and deliver a decent yield? 3) Do I have labor, machinery and fuel to replant acres if I have yet to complete the rest of my planting? 4) How will more field activity affect the compaction of my soil? 5) What is my marketing position with regard to this crop? 6) What pricing opportunity can I still capture? 7) What insurance do I have?
Building on this last question, insurance is a big factor. If I purchased a Revenue Policy, then I have some protection for prevent plant and replant. If I purchased GRIP, I may not have that protection unless I also bought an endorsement for replant or prevent plant. I suggest you talk with your crop insurance specialist before moving forward since insurance alone brings so many variables to the decision.
Get the professional input. Make a plan, and do your best to leave emotion out of it.
Powered by iNet Solutions Group ©2011 All Rights Reserved.